The Faculty Centre of ‘Integrated Rural Development and Management’ (IRDM) located at Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Narendrapur, Kolkata 700103 is an ‘off-campus’ centre of Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute (RKMVERI), PO Belur Math, Dist. Howrah, West Bengal and is approved by UGC, and MHRD, Govt. of India.
Ramakrishna Mission Ashrama, Narendrapur (just like RKMVERI) is a branch centre of Ramakrishna Mission headquartered at Belur Math, Howrah, West Bengal. The Ashrama houses a vast educational complex in a sprawling campus of about 200 acres, with a string of institutions such as a Residential College, a Residential School, Blind Boys’ Academy, Automobile Training Centre, Commercial Institute, three units meant for Agriculture and Rural Development, namely, Lokasiksha Parishad, Agricultural Training Centre and Sasya Shyamala Krishi Vigyan Kendra. There are huge agricultural farms and extension services covering nearly a thousand villages for integrated rural development. A large and well-maintained medicinal plant garden is a unique feature of the Ashrama. The greenery and well-maintained gardens, ponds and water bodies, farms, playgrounds, etc., together with the overall serene atmosphere give the campus an elevating ambiance ideally suited for the cultivation of knowledge — the aim of any educational institution.
The IRDM Faculty Centre is meant to provide quality education for a meaningful and self-supporting life to youths and train them to bring in the benefits of scientific and technological advancements into the vast and diverse fields of agriculture, farming and allied sectors in India. One unique feature of the programmes offered by this Faculty Centre is to provide value-based and higher goal-oriented education. This feature is common across all the programmes offered by RKMVERI.
IRDM offers the following programmes:
- Two-year (four-semester) MSc.in ‘Agriculture and Rural Development (ARD)’
- Two-year (four-semester) MSc. in ‘Agricultural Biotechnology (AgBT)’
- Two year (four-semester) MSc. (Agriculture) in ‘Genetics and Plant Breeding (GPB)’
- Two year (four-semester) MSc. in Environment & Disaster Management
- One year (two-semester) PG-Diploma in ‘Post Harvest and Food Technology (PHFT)’
- PhD in ‘Agriculture and Rural Development (ARD)’
- PhD in Agricultural Biotechnology (AGBT)’
- PhD (Ag.) in ‘Genetics and Plant Breeding (GPB)’
- PhD in ‘Environment and Disaster Management (EDM)’