Recently, there is a huge demand for skilled manpower to manage agricultural farms. Hence a 1-year Diploma Programme in ‘Integrated Agriculture’ is proposed to be started in order to train the youth to fulfil this demand.
The focus of this Diploma programme will be on developing the skill components of the learners so that they can manage an agricultural farm commercially as well as implement and supervise agricultural projects independently. A large part of the practical and on-field classes will be conducted at the farms of the two Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs) of our University: (1) Sasya Shyamala KVK located at Arapanch (South 24 Parganas) and (2) Dhaanya Ganga KVK located at Sargachhi (Murshidabad). Students will work on live projects as a part of the Diploma programme.
Following is an outline of this 1-year (2-semester) Diploma programme:
- Principles of crop production and integrated farming; Practical field crop production, practical horticultural crop production.
- Principles of soil health and its management, plant nutrition, fertilizers, manures, micronutrients; practical soil testing, manure production, vermicomposting, etc.
- Concepts of plant protection and management of insects, diseases, and weeds of major crops; understanding of pesticides and their use.
- Farm power and machinery – operations and maintenance.
- Management of livestock – cattle, small livestock, poultry; feed and health management, value addition of livestock products.
- Practical fish farming – pre-stocking and post-stocking management, nutrition and health management, water quality management, freshwater aquaculture, integrated fish farming.
- Commercial production of agro-technologies – apiculture, seed production, mushroom, high-value horticulture in poly-house, medicinal and aromatic plants, dairy and meat products, ornamental fish culture, fish breeding, etc.
- Practical agri-entrepreneurship, agri-business management and marketing of farm produce – concepts, rural cooperatives and banking systems, rural marketing systems and logistics, APMC, marketing strategy development, credit and insurance opportunities, bankable project development.
- Soft skill development – Effective communication for technology transfer and business development; Basic computer applications; use of ICT in agri-business and extension, knowledge of government schemes and other opportunities in agriculture and allied sectors.
- Institution building for agriculture – the concept of SHG, Farmer collectives, FPOs; group formation, handholding, and monitoring, the government guidelines and schemes.
- Organisational placement/internship in agricultural farms/KVKs/Govt. institutions/business houses/NGOs.